Thursday, October 1, 2009

It is brisk here this morning - soup weather, so I am making homemade bread, and Spicy Lentil Soup. The stew recipe follows. Of course, because I don't plan well, the bread won't be done until later, but crackers work well. Nothing new on the home front. Mikayas' vocabulary grows with each day. Sucker, I stuck, me brush. I can't beleive the 2 word sentences she is putting together. Well once I get some AA batteries for my camera, (two went into the furnace thermostat this morning. Funny how the furnace won't kick on when the thermostat isn't working!!! Brrrrrrr - 66 degrees in the house this morning!) I will post a picture of the Lentil Stew!

Spicy Lentil Stew
1.5 cups of uncooked lentils, rinsed
5 cups chicken broth (homemade, canned or bouillon-based)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup large carrot pieces
1 cup green pepper, chopped (optional)
1 15oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks (yes sweet potato - put it in, it's a lovely addition)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, depends on how hot you like it
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin.

1. Using a large pot with lid, combine lentils, chicken broth, and garlic. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Turn off heat and let oentils sit for 1 hour.

2. In the meantime, prepare remaining ingredients.

3. After 1 hour, turn heat to medium. Add all remaining ingredients. Cook, uncoverd, until carrot adn sweet potato are tender, about 30 minutes. Makes 6 servings.
Variation:Serve over brown rice or other whole grain.

2 comments:

thekreativelife said...

Hannah . . . thanks so much for leaving such a nice comment on my blog. I've been struggling with the issue of scrapbooking older photos, but I think I'm finally finding a groove (or at least a better attitude about it all). ;)

I'm saving this soup recipe by the way. It sounds yummy and with this cold weather coming on, I'm gonna want something hot and tasty to warm me up. lol

Have a great weekend!

Kay said...

Soup sounds yummy! I'd make it this evening if I had found it sooner. Making it for sure tomorrow or Monday.